Monday, July 31, 2006

Don't forget the armor


I’ve never really mentioned much my love for theatre. I acted in community theatre since I was about six all the way up till I was around 26. I loved it. I grew up in a small rural area of South Georgia. When I started college my acting coach was one of Meryl Streep’s acting coach’s. He even had a picture of her in his office when she was really young. I wouldn’t say I was a great actor. I was a nervous actor though. Every night before the curtain’s opened I was a wreck, no matter what I just couldn’t kick the jitters. But then the curtains would open and I would perform. I loved it after the curtains opened. I’m not really sure why I quit something I loved so much. I quit after I moved here to Jacksonville, Florida. I have never even checked into any theatre although there are many. I really have to get back into it. I guess when I moved here I just didn’t feel I had the time. I wouldn’t say I’m a wonderful actor, it’s been over 10 years since I’ve even acted. But it would be interesting to audition.
The first big production I remember seeing was Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical “The Phantom of the Opera”. Where a young chorus girl named Christine Daae received voice training from a mysterious musician she calls the “Angel of Music.” Well I’m sure many of you know the story. As the plot thickens we all find out the mysterious mentor is really a demented man who wants to carry her away into a bizarre underworld beneath the opera house. He’s evil masquerading as good.
Writing about this makes me think of our realationship with Christ, and all we face. I leave in the morning hoping I have enough armor on myself. I know God made it just for me. It was made for you too.
posted by DEREK @ 8:48 AM |

4 comments

<< Home